Monday 24 February 2014

What does it matter what people say about me?

What does it matter that they quote me wrongly [intentionally or not] or even make up imaginary quotes?
What does it matter, to me?
To me, it does not matter at all. And it really surprises me when people get upset. Maybe I have my father to thank for that. I remember long ago when as children we used to cry and complain to him that xxx said zzzz about me!! and he would ask: is it true?  Us indignantly: of course not!  Him: so why are you upset?  hmmm.

I think of it like this:
If people feel the need to quote me; how flattering.
If they do it wrong: it's very easy to misunderstand. Also, people reflect what is inside them.
If they do it to blacken me: how silly! Those whom I know & respect would not believe them, those I don't, let them believe whatever they want.
If people talk badly about me: I wonder why I matter to them?

See? I could keep going on like that, but you get my attitude.
I do consider matters before I dismiss them: Is there anything I said [or was silent about] that could have been understood as ...
And I consider the persons: I wonder why ... What does this tell me about ...

There is another side to this subject, of course.  Next post  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment